At the western end of Storegade, opposite the remains of the old lime alley, stands this slightly atypical ducal house. It is longer than the other houses, and has two front doors facing the street. At the top of the slightly undersized wall dormer is a small square pinnacle (spire) and, below it a rosette, is hiding the original owl hole.
Facing Jægerpladsen is an original wall with a new wooden gate giving access to the back yard.
The house was built in 1777 at the same time as the other Hunters’ Houses around Jægerpladsen. The building was built as a kennel for the 200 hunting dogs of the duke. A ground floor plan from 1861 shows that the house was divided into smaller enclosures – dog stalls.
The house is also called the Hunters’ House, as the first floor was built to house one or more of the duke’s hunters.
Hunting has always been a favourite occupation of royalty and nobles, and the duke was no exception. He was very interested in dog breeding and so imported some English pointer hunting dogs, which he bred in his kennel.
“The Augustenborg Flusher” (Augustenborgstøveren) was the result of that interest and was probably bred in this house. It was a beautiful and good-natured hunting dog the size of a small pointer. The breed was found in Sebbelev in the 1940s, but became extinct as an independent breed in 1986.
After the escape of the ducal family in 1848, the house was used by the Danish military. From 1864 until the reunification in 1920, the house was used by Prussian gendarmes, after which the Danish state sold the house as a private residence. Today the house is used as a private residence and for rental.