At this site, where the northern path meets the First Avenue, there was originally a long jetty. It got its name when King Frederick VII visited Augustenborg in 1848, after the duke’s escape.
There has always been a road to the site, and the jetty was probably built there because it could almost reach the sailing channel, where there was a suitable water depth for larger ships.
When the German Kaiser Wilhelm II visited Augustenborg in 1901, a new harbour had already been built, and so he was received in the area where the reunification stone stands today.
After that the King’s Jetty was used by yachtsmen and fishermen, but when the marina at the harbour was built, there were only a few boats left that used it. Today most of the King’s Jetty has disappeared.
On the other side of the fjord is a small boathouse called Nausten. The Viking ship Sebbe Als is stored there over winter. In the summer, Sebbe Als is moored to the jetty along the dam (Banegårdsgade). Listen to the story of the Viking ship when you get there.