In the middle of the high street, opposite Louise Augustas Plads, lies this charming and poetic house, which is one of the most beautiful and well-kept houses in Augustenborg. The owners of the house have always cherished it with great care and respect.
The house, which was built in 1775, is seven bays long and has a ground floor area of 102 square meters. It is attributed to master builder Lorentz Jacobsen, who also built the House of the Court Priest, and it is often described as an “art miniature” or the “little sister” to the House of the Court Priest.
The lattice windows with curved upper frames complete the symmetrical composition with the wall dormer in the middle. The two small windows in the wall dormer sit between two pilasters with sandstone capitals (small decorative head) and at the top is an oval owl hole.
The door is beautifully made in the Alsic / Schleswig Rococo style with matching brass handle and finger plate. The window above the door is beautifully decorated with bunches of grapes and vines. The door frame is unusual by being located on the inside of semi-circular arch of the doorway.
The façade of the house is covered with vines, neatly emphasising the decoration of the doorway.
The roof of the house is covered with traditional handmade clay roof tiles, but not the ridges.
Who the house was built by or for is not known with certainty, but one of the first occupants was the 29-year-old Andreas Iversen who was born in 1747. He was personal chef to the duke, which means that he provided all the food and drink for the ducal family, while the princely chef, who lived in No. 28, cooked for the rest of the court. It was a very trusted position.
Andreas Iversen retired in 1811, and his successor did not live in the house, but in the Palace. When the family moved on is not known, but at one point the duke’s coachman lived in the house.
The next resident was saddler Phillipp Allenstab, who lived in the house with his family and an apprentice, Paul Paulsen, who had married his daughter. The daughter died in 1871, but the son-in-law remained living in the house until his death in 1890. Thanks to his apprenticeship, not only did he get his training, he got a wife and a home!
In 1892, the house was inhabited by country postman Vogelsang. He was succeeded by three different blacksmith families – Carstens, Sorgenfrei and Sandholdt. The blacksmith business provided everything for the industry, and the blacksmith was highly recognised for shoeing horses. If there were difficult and deformed hooves, he was the specialist, and he was often recommended by the veterinarians. The Sandholdt family sold the property to the current owners, who continue maintaining the beautiful house. The old smithy was demolished, and in 1998 a half-timbered house of 51 square meters was built on the site. It had stood on Stavensbølgade 31 but was taken down and rebuilt here. Today it serves as the workshop and garage of the house. A commendable achievement that shows that there are alternatives to demolition.