Most of the town’s craftsmen lived in Stavensbølgade. One of them was the duke’s coachbuilder Jacob Jürgensen, who lived in this beautiful house and received a deed for the property in 1768. For almost 200 years, the house was the home of several generations of wheelwrights and coachbuilders.
Although the house has a ground floor area of just over 150 square meters, more space was needed, so the business also took over the neighbouring house 23A as well as a number of smaller half-timbered houses behind it. These served as the coachbuilder’s workshop.
In 1801, the duke allowed Friedrich Jürgensen to continue the profession of his father. Friedrich’s eldest son Jacob Brandt Jürgensen was exempted from military service at the age of 19 because he had to work for his father. This indicates that the family had good relations with the duke – a relationship that continued after the escape of the ducal family in 1848, after which the Jürgensen family kept the duke informed of what was happening in the town.
Jacob took over the business at the age of 35 and was mayor of the town from 1869 to 1882. Despite the close ties to the ducal family, he enjoyed great respect in the town. His daughter Henriette married Dr. Thede from the House of the Court Councillor, and his son Jürgen Jürgensen continued the business.
For most of the 19th century, business was good. Carriages were made from the most luxurious to the everyday. At the Local History Archive, there are old photos of a closed Viennese coach and a Phaeton, both of which were made by coachbuilder Jürgensen.
Even after the ducal family had long left the town, a coachbuilder was still needed to make not only coaches, such as hackneys (cabs/taxis) in various versions, but also transport and work wagons. Repairs were a big part of the work, including replacing wheels and wheel parts.
Like his father, Jürgen Jürgensen was very interested in the local community and politics. He was cheerful and eagerly participated in both dancing, shooting sports and nine-pin bowling. Despite his German / Schleswig affiliation, he was accepted by most citizens and was mayor from 1907 to 1918. He died of “mental confusion” in Schleswig in 1923. It is believed that the “disease” was due to the fact that he lost the entire family fortune during the great inflation from 1920 to 1923.
Jürgen’s only son died in infancy, so there were no more coachbuilders in the family. The daughter Agnes (1880-1966) was the last of the Jürgensen family to live in the house. Today, the new owners take good care of the house. A new roof was installed, and it looks good and well maintained – a joy for the eye, overlooking “the Little Sea” (Lillehav).